When your home is struck by sudden disaster, the best thing you can do is to call in trained home restoration professionals immediately. However, what should you do until they arrive? While most people won’t be able to mitigate or repair much or any of the damage themselves, there are certain things that may be done in order to assist your chosen water damage restoration or fire damage restoration company at various points throughout the process. Here are some tips from Integrity Restoration:
Before the Assessment
- Ensure workers have a safe environment by checking for electrical and “slip and fall” hazard areas.
- Assess the safety of the house as a whole and decide whether it is safe for yourself or family members to remain inside.
Take Care of Your Belongings Carefully and Responsibly
- If you’re moving anything out of the house, remember that wet items are usually much heavier than when they are dry. Lift safely or with the help of others.
- If the area is safe, you can try to clean a little standing water by mopping or blotting.
- Wipe wet wooden surfaces dry as soon as possible.
- Don’t use your regular vacuum to attempt to remove water or ash from carpets.
- Hang wet or damaged fabrics or furs/leather, and retrieve all books and magazines off of damp surfaces.
While there are several other things to keep in mind while waiting for emergency restoration services to arrive, keeping these hints in mind can build a good foundation for getting your home back on track.